I blame this partly on my prenatal diet (Oreo, anyone? Don't mind if I do!) and partly because pureed carrots and peas are pretty boring.
So thankfully a friend (thanks Music City Mama!) was experiencing the same dilemma and came up with the idea that she could provide (sneak, disguise, whatever) vegetables to her son through veggie burgers - but not just any veggie burgers - HOMEMADE veggie burgers. I loved it! And thankfully so did Natalie.
Here's the recipe - if you can call it that since I never measure anything. A recipe makes 10-12 good sized burgers. Natalie has at least 5 burgers a week. Usually they go with her to baby school for lunch. They make great lunches for Mom's too! Everybody wins!
Veggie Burgers
Roasted, pureed butternut squash
chopped fresh spinach
cooked pearled barley (I boil my leftover broccoli stalks (chopped finely) with the barley to add some extra green)
Pinto beans, drained, rinsed and mashed with a fork
Shredded cheddar cheese
Cumin
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Mix everything together and form a lemon sized ball. Pat down on a *greased* cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until they are slightly brown around the edges.
Allow to cool completely then remove from the cookie sheet and freeze until you need them.
I freeze them in a ziplock bag with parchment paper between.
Thawing is super easy. Place on plate and microwave for 30 seconds, flip and add 30 seconds more. DONE. I usually melt a slice of cheese on top to sweeten the deal. Natalie eats them up! That is what doesn't end up in her hair. :)
| A satisfied customer! |
Awesome, so glad that you posted these! I will be putting these on the menu for Katherine when the time comes. (it will be here before I know it) Your recipe sounds so much like the Schenk side of the family - a little of this, a little of that, mix until it looks like this....
ReplyDelete