Monday, October 7, 2013

The little girl who potty trained herself

Hello again!  We are still here - living our lives 3 hours at a time (that's how often 1 month olds need to eat...) and enjoying our sweet babies.

We've been easing up on potty training around here for MONTHS.  Friday at school they put her on the potty A LOT - about every hour and a half with NO results.  They said Natalie was happy as a lark but politely explained to them that "I go to the potty at home".  Oh well!  Ms. Dawn and Ms. Joann said not to worry, we would (eventually) prevail.  We had a low key weekend planned, the only thing on the agenda was trying to help Natalie learn to use the potty.  Saturday we tried using pull ups.  No dice - it must just feel like a diaper to Natalie so she only went when we asked her, but there were a few successes in the #1 department, but with a lot of encouragement from Mommy and Daddy.

Sunday it was a different ballgame.  I hadn't planned to go ANYWHERE so I decided to test the most radical theory of potty training - naked from the waist down.

Yes, that's a long sleeved PJ top and purple flip flops :)
Our carpet is nice throughout our house but this was a risk I was willing to take.  Turns out this is what we needed to do all along.  We explained that as soon as she felt that she needed to go, she just needed to run to the potty anytime.  Well she did.  EVERY TIME.  No accidents AT ALL.  Jon and I spent the entire day marveling that she was doing it all by herself.  We never even had to ask her if she needed to go.  She went naked for most of the day and enjoyed A LOT of treats thanks to all the marshmallow and lolly-pop incentives we had offered.

We transitioned to a pull up for nap time and into "big girl panties" for the afternoon again with no accidents.  Amazing!

This morning I wasn't sure how it was going to go after all the success yesterday but she picked right up where she left off.  She went potty twice BEFORE we left for daycare.  So she was able to go to school in big girl underwear.  At 9:00 I got the following text from the daycare "Natalie has just gone to the potty twice on her own! She understood if she felt the need just to go to the potty chair and go.  She is doing a great job!"

Our little girl is growing up so fast and we are so proud of her!



1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've heard that naked potty training is THE way to go. Sounds like Natalie was a fan! What a big girl! :)

    We wish that we could have been up there to visit this weekend, but sounds like you got a lot accomplished without having visitors in the house to distract from important work. Hopefully Natalie can show Katherine the potty training ropes when you guys head south!

    ReplyDelete